First up, I got my husband to take the many measurements needed (which was in all rather amusing).
I picked my fabric - and for once took a sensible decision to start with a cheap lining fabric. Its all rather scary really as you mark all these points onto the fabric and then cut!! What if your measurements were wrong?! What if I've marked it on the fabric wrongly? Should you actually cut to the markings or should you make it bigger just in case? I decided, in for a penny in for a pound- so I marked it up exactly per the measurements and cut it exactly there- crossing my fingers and toes...
Here are some pics of the markings on the fabric (note to self could do with a more accurate chalk marker than the blunt thing I currently use)
This is me following the instructions to mark the darts - you basically measure various points, fold them over in a line & iron creases in to mark where the darts are. I used a few pins to help as the folds didn't stay brilliantly in the wool.
But the net effect was quite good -I actually like the fact the bust darts run straight into the body ones- its an interesting design feature and creates a nice fit on.
and getting a first look at it!! I was so happy that I was tempted to not add the peplum. The back looked especially smart...
But hey, it's called the peplum dress so peplum it should have!! I carefully followed the instructions which include folding a big square of fabric 2x then measuring the inner and outer circle- the whole thing is made in one piece so effectively you cut the peplum out whe and are left with a big scrap of the fabric inside the circle and of course the outsides. I followed the instructions to the letter and went to attach it. I spent ages deciding how high to sew it on. Too low looked just odd but I was nervous of ending up with the whole thing too short. I decided this looked good but didn t cut off the excess just in case I changed my mind later 😉
Then I hit my first issue. The peplum was too big!! I don't know what happened as I measures it carefully...
Never fear, I just chopped off the excess, aligned it with the centre back seam and added a seam to the peplum. Barely noticeable once finished. Then I just had some tidying up of edges to do...
And there we have it! Finished!!!!
Join me on Instagram @messyessymakes